1. How do I make a claim?

A flowchart has been created to assist you in making a claim.

Download the Travel Claim Form from http://www.fsu.uts.edu.au/insurance/forms/index.html

Please read the Vice-Chancellor’s Operational Directives – Travel prior to making travel arrangements:


2. Who should I contact during an emergency?

Depending on the nature of the emergency;

Insurance Emergency:

Contact TravelGuard for all insurance related emergencies.

Book a reverse charge call through an operator and call +60 327 725 687

Examples of Insurance Emergency:

You are taken to the hospital due to medical emergency.

You are required to return to Australia due to sickness/death in the family.

Your passport/creditcards or important documents are stolen or lost.

3. What am I covered for?

UTS has corporate travel insurance policy which covers staff, students and authorised person, whilst traveling on approved business or academic activities.

UTS travel policy is a very comprehensive policy covering all overseas emergency medical expenses including repatriation and removal of mortal remains, loss of deposit, personal property (including laptops, camera, mobile phones etc), rental vehicle excess, etc.

Details of the travel policy can be downloaded via the following link:


4. What are the major exclusions?

1. The policy does not cover for any contractual obligations in relation to mobile phone purchases. (E.g. monthly cap installment under contract).

2. The policy does not cover for injuries resulting from participating in professional sports. Professional sports means sports for which you receive any fee or monetary reward as a result of your participation.

3. Expenses recoverable from any other source.

4. Expenses incurred whilst traveling against medical advice or with a terminal condition diagnosed prior to travel.

5. The policy does not cover for dental claims resulting from cavities or due to lack of regular dental health maintenance. Only emergency dental treatment is covered.

6. The policy does not cover for any vaccinations or any precautionary measures.

7. If required to return home due to an emergency, the Insurer must be contacted first to ensure cover.

8. The policy does not cover trips that exceed 365 days duration.

9. The policy does not cover loss of personal property that has been left unattended or unsupervised. Also, loss or theft of valuables including money that is stored in checked in luggage during a trip is not covered.


10. Acts of war, including civil war and acts of terrorism. This may include demonstrations or civil protests relating to declarations of war.

11. Air travel in an aircraft which is not properly licensed or where you are not a passenger.

12. Intentional self-inflicted injury or suicide.

13. Pregnancy or childbirth (except for an unexpected medical complication or emergency occurring during the first 30 weeks of the pregnancy).

14. Sexually transmitted disease or Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (A.I.D.S) or Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV).

15. Radioactive contamination or radioactivity in any form whatsoever, whether occurring naturally or otherwise.

16. Any criminal or intentional illegal act by yourself or UTS

17. Medical expenses incurred more than 12 months after the date of injury, or in the case of sickness, after the date on which medical expenses were first incurred.

18. The policy does not cover for medicare gap for medical treatment undertaken in Australia as a result of injuries incurred overseas.

5. How do I purchase extra travel insurance for private travel?

You can purchase private travel insurance online for additional insurance cover required for the period outside of the approved period from


Please note that you are buying a separate policy and not extending your corporate travel insurance organized by UTS.

6. Who do I notify of my pre-existing medical condition and how?

You must notify the FSU Tax & Insurance section of your pre-existing medical condition by sending an email to insurance@uts.edu.au. You will be advised if a form needs to be completed.

7. Who do I contact if I notice errors on my insurance certificate?

For all errors on the your insurance certificate;

Exchange Students should send an email to


In-Country Students should send an email to


UTS Staff should send an email to

FSU: Tax & Insurance section.


8. Definitions and additional notes

Medicare Gap is the difference between the Medicare benefit and the schedule fee.

Supporting documents are required when submitting a claim. This may include originals for medical evidence, reports and receipts, police reports or police report number, transport provider’s reports, valuations or proof of ownership and copies of your itinerary and authority to travel.

In order to improve the efficiency in the processing of your claim, if a report or any supporting documentation is written in a foreign language, if you are able to provide a brief translation, this will be beneficial.

Excess/Deductible means first amount of each and every loss payable by the insured person.

The applicable excess (or deductible) is AUD $200.00 per claim for all non-medical claims. There is no excess on medical claims.

Important Information

We may collect, use, manage, store and provide access to your personal information to our insurance broker and insurer. Should your personal information be incorrect or out of date, you undertake to inform us immediately.

UTS is only responsible for organising insurance for staff and student. The claimant deals directly with the Insurer for all claims related matters.

9. Frequently asked questions.


Am I covered for pre-existing medical condition?

No. for all expenses incurred to manage the pre-existing condition are not covered, however costs in relations to any emergencies arising out of pre-existing condition are covered.

Can I claim for vaccinations/flu shots that I take prior to travel?

No. Cost incurred for precautionary measure is not covered.

Are medicines purchased over the counter covered?

No. Purchase of only prescribed medicines by a legally qualified medical practitioner are covered.

What if I have to return home due to illness or death in the family?

Before booking your flights you must contact TravelGuard to get approval to be covered.

Book a reverse charge call through an operator and call +60 327 725 687

Please note where the death or illness in the family is of a person aged over 75 years of age, then the costs of returning home is not covered.

What is a dental emergency?

Dental emergency arises due to an unforeseeable circumstance (an accident caused by violent, external and visible means and occurring solely and directly and independently of any other cause) and a registered and legally qualified dentist provides treatment for the relief or management of the resultant dental pain.

Claims arising out of cavities are not covered as cavities are caused due to lack of dental health maintenance over a period of time. Any claims arising out of lack of dental health maintenance are not covered.

No cover is provided for routine dental check ups or procedures (for instance teeth cleaning, filling of cavities, cosmetic dentistry etc).

What is an optical emergency?

Optical emergency arises due to unforeseeable circumstance (an accident caused by violent, external and visible means and occurring solely and directly and independently of any other cause) where treatment is provided by registered and legally qualified medical practitioner or optician.

No cover is provided for routine optical treatment/check ups.

Personal Property/Theft

Is my laptop, digital camera etc covered?

Travel insurance policy covers for damage or loss of personal property of the student/staff including but not limited to accompanied luggage, personal effects, portable business equipment including computers and mobile phones.

What if sim card from mobile phone gets stolen?

The insurance company does not cover for any contractual liability that you may have with the mobile service provider.

If any payments are outstanding as you are on a plan that will not be covered.

The cost of replacing the mobile phone itself will be covered however an excess of AUD $200 will apply.


What if I miss my flight?

Cover for reasonable extra expenses incurred to enable an insured person to use alternative public transport services to arrive at a business meeting or conference on time if they miss their transport connection due to unforeseeable circumstances outside their control.

What if my travel is longer than 365 days?

Travel of more than 365 days is not covered. Students’ are required to come back to Australia and renew their insurance cover or organise their own insurance cover overseas prior to their departure. Insurers will not consider any extension to the policy beyond 365 days if you are already overseas.

What if my Host University does not give me insurance exemption against the UTS insurance provided?

It is the responsibility of the student to check for any additional insurance cost that they may have to incur due to the host university not accepting the insurance provided by UTS.

UTS cannot meet the insurance requirements of every overseas university. (E.g. Universities in France, Canada and some in US make it compulsory for students to buy their medical insurance at the time of enrolment.)

Some universities waive the insurance after seeing the certificate of currency provided by UTS.

Where the host universities do not waive the insurance requirements, UTS student will still be covered under the UTS insurance for all other non-medical claims.

Will I be reimbursed for the expenses incurred in returning to my Country of Residence due to the unexpected death, serious injury or sickness of a relative?

Yes. The policy defines Country of Residence to mean

a) the country the Insured Person is a citizen or permanent resident of (ie holder of a multiple entry visa or permit which gives the Insured Person resident health care rights in such country); or

b) the country in which the Insured Person is residing on an overseas expatriate assignment

A relative means the spouse, parent, parent-in-law, grandparent, step-parent, child, step-child, grandchild, brother, brother-in-law, sister, sister-in-law, daughter-in-law, son-in-law, fiancée, fiance, half-brother, half-sister, aunt, uncle, niece or nephew of the Insured Person, provided such person(s) are under 80 years of age and reside in the Insured Person’s Country of Residence.

Therefore, if there is a serious illness of a relative in Australia and the student is studying in London, the policy will provide cover for costs to return back to Australia. However if the student is from Australia and are studying in London and there is a serious illness of a relative in South Africa, then the policy will not cover the costs for the student to fly to South Africa.Knowledge Thailand ,Knowledge Thailand,Knowledge Thailand
Knowledge Thailand ,Knowledge Thailand,Knowledge Thailand
Knowledge Thailand ,Knowledge Thailand,Knowledge Thailand
Knowledge Thailand ,Knowledge Thailand,Knowledge Thailand
Knowledge Thailand ,Knowledge Thailand,Knowledge Thailand.
Articles, ideas, think, remind motto, story, article I, article and think, article,poem, short stories, novels, stories, travel, life insurance, health insurance